Six months to plan and install four (or more) rain barrels:
- Review Sustainable Fee Project budget; decide how many rain barrels we can afford.
- Schedule meeting with maintenance staff; inquire about possible flooding in certain areas on campus; decide which buildings and locations are best for rain barrel installations.
- Mark where each rain barrel will be installed on a campus map.
- Installation time will occur over a weekend in March, 2017.
Four 100 gallon rain barrels will be installed to a number of buildings on the UIC campus. The exact locations of the barrels will be determined after inquiring information from the campus maintenance crew, to decide the best placement for each rain barrel. Depending on the size of each building, there will be one or more rain barrel(s) installed to each structure. There will be a total of four barrel installations, unless budget allows for more. The rain from these barrels will be used to water the gardens, the greenhouse, and the UIC landscaping. These rain collectors will prove sustainable for UIC’s water supply; assisting with the Net Zero Water promise.
Average cost of materials needed:
100 gallon rain barrel: $200
Overflow kit/runoff pipe: $35
Rain Diverter: $18
Soaker Hose: $21
Linking Kit: $12
Spigot, if not supplied: $5
Additional Guttering: $5
- Each barrel installation: $296 (4)
- Cost for installation: $1,184 for 4 rain barrels